Thursday, May 24, 2007

Baseball Memories With Mr. Harwell

Like many of you local readers that are Tigers fans, one of the first things that comes to mind is the sweet sounds of Ernie Harwell and his signature calls. For a period of time as a child, I remember my Father working the midnight shift and I would turn the radio on and drift away to the soothing sounds of Ernie, then wake up the next morning with a pack of baseball cards waiting on my night stand. It was sad to see Ernie retire back in 2002, as if I knew I would never hear my grandpa or a favorite uncle tell me another story, so it's always exciting when he steps in as a guest announcer. Watching the game today and hearing that vintage voice took me back, even if only for a brief moment, to those boyhood, summertime memories. Of course it would have been nice to hear him make more of the calls, but any Ernie is good Ernie! I will be looking forward to tomorrow nights game against the Indians when he steps in once again as a guest announcer with Mario Impemba on FSN.

Although Ernie isn't the voice of the Tigers anymore, the memories will never be looooooong gone! And again, don't forget to tune in with Ernie tomorrow night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home